What can I do if I did work on someone’s house but now the guy that was supposed to pay us is not answering my calls or emails?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if I did work on someone’s house but now the guy that was supposed to pay us is not answering my calls or emails?

We finished the job 3 weeks ago with the homeowner’s approval; everything is completed. The total check amount is about 7,000.

Asked on December 7, 2015 under Real Estate Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Try calling the homeowner and see if they can help.  At the end of the day, they don't want a lien on their property for non-payment.. so many will help if the payor was someone other than the homeowner.
If the payor is the homeowner, then consider hiring an attorney for the limited purpose of sending a demand letter for payment.  If they still refuse to submit the payment, then discuss with the attorney your options regarding filing a lawsuit for non-payment or seeking a lien on the property.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption