If the bathroom pipes from both my toilets are leaking into the unit below my condo, does the Association pay for the repairs or do I?

UPDATED: Sep 6, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 6, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If the bathroom pipes from both my toilets are leaking into the unit below my condo, does the Association pay for the repairs or do I?

The pipes are inside the walls. I cannot see them so I don’t do anything to maintain them. I live in Tennessee. The monthly fee is $150, but the condo is not managed well by its volunteer board. We have very little savings. I don’t think they are being honest with me. Should they be required to fix the pipes since the problem occurs inside the walls between 2 or more units?

Asked on September 6, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Tennessee


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Whether or not the problem that you are experiencing with leaking toilets into the unit below yours is a common area issue to be paid by the association or your responsibility depends how the recorded "covenants, conditions & restrictions" and the association rules define a "common area" and whose responsibility for maintenance and repair as to those specified regions in the development where your property is located.

As such, you need to carefully read these documents in that they will most likely provide an answer to your question. To assist you in your question you need to see what repairs in the past the association made on its own at its own expense as opposed to the individual homeowner.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption