What to do if somebody stole my federal tax ID to open an account?

UPDATED: Aug 24, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 24, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if somebody stole my federal tax ID to open an account?

Somebody, we bought a business from 2 years ago, used our federal tax ID to open a power company account about a year ago. Today I received a letter from the power company saying that we owe them around $2,500 from this account and that we are responsible for the amount. Did this guy commit fraud against us? How we can fix the problem? Is there any legal action we can take?

Asked on August 24, 2011 Texas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

This is tantamount to some one stealing your social security number.  It is corporate or business identity theft and it is as real as personal identity theft.  If your personal infrnation were stolen you would be able to contact the Texas Federal Trade Commission and the Texas Department of Public Safety.  I would start there as well for your particular set of circumstances and see where they direct you on the matter.  They will best know what you need to do in this case.  I would also speak with an attorney in your area as you are going to have to bring legal action against them as well.  Good luck to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption