What to do if my case has been closed but I never got any information regarding the outcome and what was decided?

UPDATED: Oct 8, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 8, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my case has been closed but I never got any information regarding the outcome and what was decided?

Whenever Igo to the USCIS website to check my case status with my A number, it comes up as an invalid number, nothing can be found. Is there any way I can figure out what happened?

Asked on October 8, 2011 under Immigration Law, North Carolina


SB, Member, California / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You should make an INFOPASS appointment with your local USCIS office by going on the USCIS website, www.uscis.gov, and once you are at the appointment you can ask to speak with an information officer who will be able to let you know what has been decided on your case.  Often the website information is not up to date or is not searchable because it is only as good as the information that is put into the system.  If you go in person you can actually speak to an officer and see what the status of your application/petition is.  Obviously bring with you all the copies of documents and applications you have submitted to the USCIS and any correspondence you have received from the USCIS regarding your case.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption