How do I handle a small estate distribution?

UPDATED: May 25, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 25, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I handle a small estate distribution?

I am a resident of CT and my father, who passed almost 2 years ago, was a resident of LA. He passed intestate and the only property he had was a truck. I am the only heir. I have the small succession form and pretty much understand the process but have a few questions. Can I mail the affidavit with the court? What if I do not have the title to the truck? Do I have need to publish anything in the local paper? The registration expired 6 months ago and I need to get this resolved ASAP.

Asked on May 25, 2011 under Estate Planning, Louisiana


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You need to first get the title to the truck. The easiest way to do this is to show the death certificate to the Department of Motor Vehicles and see if there is a way you can obtain title by showing the death certificate and succession form. If not, you may simply need to fill out the succession form, include the proper tax form described in the form that is needed, have the form notarized and submit to the Department of Revenue. I don't believe estates like this need to be submitted to the court in the form of a probate opening. I don't believe publication is required herein but again, the Department of Revenue may require you to wait for processing the documentation and may have to wait for a certain statutory time period before it is completed.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption