Shrubbery damage

UPDATED: May 15, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 15, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Shrubbery damage

A new neighbor employed a service to remove some trees from his yard. I’m not sure why but they also damaged several 15 year old wisteria vines growing on our fence that abbutted his property. The fence was built by us 14 years ago and was placed 6 inches within our property line. The service entered our property through the fence slats and cut the trunk on our side of the fence. This has altered the beauty and privacy of our back yard. What restitution are we entitled to in Virginia and how should we pursue this?

Asked on May 15, 2009 under Real Estate Law, Virginia


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

I don't know the exact cost to replace the hedges but if it's under $5,000 this will be a matter that you can take to small claims court in Virginia.

First however, if you have not already done so, you need to speak to them and try and work this out.  It's just common sense to do so and the Judge will ask you if you did.

If it comes down to going to court, be sure you have pictures of the damaged vines.  Also, if you have a picture of them pre-damage that would be helpful as well.  Additionally bring in 2-3 an estimates for replacement.

Here' are 2 links you can refer to:

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption