Should I paya civil demand letter?

UPDATED: Sep 16, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 16, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Should I paya civil demand letter?

I was caught shoplifting a $6 shirt. The police were not called. I have read that no legal action will result in ignoring the letter. Is this true?

Asked on September 16, 2011 under Criminal Law, Illinois


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

A civil demand letter is a way for the store to scare you even more than you were when they caught you shoplifting and read you the riot act.  If in fact the police were called and you were arrested for petty theft - the legal charge for shop lifting - after the matter was worked out before the judge (be it tried or pled to a lesser offense), the court would order you pay restitution to the store.  And the restitution would not have been any more than the value of the shirt.  So I would tell you that you should not pay any more than $6 and that is they are asking for more you should not respond.  If anything does in fact come of it - and it should really not - seek legal help. It is a lesson learned I hope.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption