Can I get my ex-husband to pay me in another way than he has been?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I get my ex-husband to pay me in another way than he has been?

My ex-husband was judged to pay me for the equity in our former home. Then, 10 years later I had to take him to court to pay me. He received a judgement to pay me monthly with interest. He sends a certified letter that has to be signed with a check each month. He knows it isn’t possible for anyone to be there to sign because we work, along with not being able to get to post office during hours due to working. It’s ben hard getting someone to pick ot up for me. He refused my request to deposit it into the bank account that I opened just for this. How can I change the way he pays me? He was judged to pay me each month starting 30 days after court. That was on the 13th. He mails it anywhere between the 14th and the 21st so I never can prepare to receive it.

Asked on May 17, 2019 under Family Law, Mississippi


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

He has to pay however he was ordered to pay you by the court--no other way. Or if the court did not specify a way for him to pay you, he can pay however he wants, so long as he sends the payment out in time: he is not required to take your needs, schedule, etc. into account. So unless the court ordered electronic deposit, you cannot make him to that.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption