How can the terms of a judgment be enforced if you are the defendant?

UPDATED: Jun 16, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 16, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can the terms of a judgment be enforced if you are the defendant?

I have received a Judgment as follows: Judgment was entered as stated below on 03/21/2011. Defendant shall pay plaintiff $3250 principal and $120 costs on plaintiff’s claim. Other: Plaintiff to return cats to defendant at own expenses once judgment is satisfied. I am the defendant, and I paid the plaintiff the full amount 2 months ago yet the plaintiff has not returned the cats back to me. What rights do I have to recover my cats even though I lost the case? Is there any form I can file in Ca to enforce the judgment?

Asked on June 16, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Okay, you held up your end of the bargain and the plaintiff ended up messing around with the matter they brought suit for in the first place.  Classic.  So you have the proof that the judgement was paid, correct?  Did the plaintiff issue you a satisfaction of judgment?  Probably not given what you have written.  Then what you need to do is to bring a motion in the matter to force the plaintiff to issue a satisfaction of judgement and to return the cats as the order indicates.  You could also ask for alternative relief in that she is in contempt of the order of the court (an order had to be issued before the judgement).  Ask for court costs and fees associated with what ever you need to do.  Good luck to you. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption