Power Attorney for Sick Mom

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Power Attorney for Sick Mom

My mom is currently incapable of making medical and financial decisions while she is recovering from surgery and in rehab. My dad can’t always make decisions and he is caught up with his friends who are basically taking him for his money. We are trying to protect my moms part of the estate and provide care from my dad’s pension. Since my dad is financially negligent and hardly visits my mom, will a General Power of Attorney be enough to protect my mom’s estate and allow us to make decisions on her behalf? This is in California and APS says there is nothing we can do because my dad claims they are his friends.

Asked on October 2, 2017 under Estate Planning, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

If your mother is currently incapable of making medical and financial decisions, she cannot give you a power of attorney: only a person competent of managing her own affairs can create a POA. 
If your father is neglecting her interests, you may have to consider trying to get her declared incompetent by the courts and have someone other than your father appointed her guardian. This is a drastic step, and is apt to be difficult--courts do NOT like interfering in a married couple's internal affairs, or taking away spouse 1's rights or authority vis-a-vis spouse 2 when there is any other option. You may wish to discuss the situation at length with an elder law attorney, but be prepared that there may not be a good answer or resolution for you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption