Person withholding Will from Beneficiary

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Person withholding Will from Beneficiary

Grandmother has dementia. Grandfather recently died. Her youngest daughter Sherry has the bank book because grandfather let her have power of attorney over him. Buddie Son is the beneficiary on the Will after grandmother dies. Sherry feels that since grandmother is still alive she doesn’t have to provide the bank book or the notarized version of the Will. Is this correct? She had power of attorney over grandfather but not grandmother.

Asked on October 1, 2018 under Estate Planning, Oregon


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  So a few basics.  A Power of Attorney dies with the person for whom it is put in place.  In other words, her daughter is no longer the power of attorney for her Father.  If her Mother has dementia then she can not execute one at this point.  Someone needs to apply to be her conservator and guardian.  Now, as for the Will.  Your Grandmother being alive is not the issue.  It needs to be offered for Probate and yes, all beneficairies receive a copy.  If she has it I am assuming she is the Executor?  You can file a proceeding to compel her to act.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption