Partition with tenants in common

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Partition with tenants in common

I owned my home for 7 years contract
for deed then needed to get a
mortgage but needed someone else to
sign as well. My significant other at the
time did so on title and mortgage we
are tenants in common. He moved out
after 4 years and never attempted to
return on the property. Now 21 years
later he wants 150,000 but has not
contributed any . Advice please

Asked on May 6, 2018 under Real Estate Law, Minnesota


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

If he is a tenant in common with you, he is part owner of the home. He is entitled to a share of the equity in the home if and when you sell it; you need his consent or permission to sell it, unless a sale is ordered by a court (e.g. if one of you brought an action "for partition" to get a court order compelling the sale of the house, which is something one owner can do if they and the other owner[s] cannot agree as to what to do with the property); and even has  the right to access, occupy, use, and live in the house, the same as you. By putting him on the deed, you gave him rights equal to yours.
If the matter does end up in court, it is likely that a court will give you some credit or adjustment to reflect the greater amounts you paid than him (courts have an inherent "equitable" power to try to work fairness in many cases, within the bounds of the law), and so if you and he can resolve the matter without a trial (e.g. in mediation), it would be appropriate to similarly adjust what he might get to reflect that you made payments which he did not. However, you need to start from the perspective that as a tenant in common, he fundamentally owns the house as much as you do, and therefore has the same rights as you, subject only to some equitable adjustment for your payments.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption