What are my rights if I paid a deposit and partial rent on a house but ever completed the lease ortook possession due to problems with the utilities?

UPDATED: Aug 19, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 19, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights if I paid a deposit and partial rent on a house but ever completed the lease ortook possession due to problems with the utilities?

About 8 months also I was going to rent a house. I paid a deposit and 3/4 of rent on a Monday and was to return with the completed lease and rest of the money on the following Friday. I went to water department to find out about a deposit and was told the meter had been pulled do to excessive water usage; they believed there was a leak. I returned immediately to the rental place and told them I did not want a house with problems and wanted my money back. They said it had to be in writing so I did that and then the lady said that it would have to go to corporate for the refund. Still nothing 8 month. later.

Asked on August 19, 2011 Oklahoma


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If the property management company has not had any contact with you about the rental that you could not occupy due to the absence of water for eight months, you can presume that you are not going to be pressured about breaching any lease.

If you have requested the deposit and partial rental return months ago, you need to call the property management company right away about the situation and follow up on the subject with a written letter requesting their return by a stated date.

If the deposit and partial rent are not returned to you by the time requested, your option would be to file a small claims court action against the property management company and the landlord for their return.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption