Not sure

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Not sure

Me and my ex wife have been divorced for 3/4 years. In the Divorce she assumed the mortgage on the home and a home improvement loan that ties in to the mortgage on the home. The divorce decree says this also. She is always late on the home improvement loan swimming pooland I am the one that get constantly hounded by the lender. The loan was in my name as the one the loan was made to. They say she is not the responsible party on the loan and that I am. I tell them, I don’t live there and no way in hell I will pay them anything. She does make the payment in her own time. So my question is how do I get this off me and on to her??? This also same on the home loan also ??

Asked on January 5, 2017 under Family Law, Texas


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You can't. Since you are the one who signed for the loan, then you are the one responsible for paying it. This is true even though she assumed responsibility for the mortgage and home improvement loan in your divorce. The fact is that the lender lent to you not your wife. And since they were not a party to your divorce action, it has no legal bearing on them or the money that you owe them. That having been said, your divorce decree was legally binding on you and your wife. Accordingly, you can sue her for any amounts that you have to pay on her behalf.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption