CanI be made torepay my ex-wife’s welfare, if she wrongfully collected it?

UPDATED: Dec 30, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 30, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

CanI be made torepay my ex-wife’s welfare, if she wrongfully collected it?

I have been divorced since 1991. My ex-wife went on welfare with our son in 1992. I have paid child support and kept up our son’s health insurance. I was never late or missed a payment. The state now states that I am liable for the repayment of $20k; the amount that my ex-wife was paid in public assistance. My mom died in August. The state said the it will deduct the amount from any inheritance that I may receive. That amount may total about $15-$20k. Could this be true? Is there any way to stop this if it is true?

Asked on December 30, 2010 under Bankruptcy Law, Connecticut


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

From the way that I have read and understood the question that you have written it is not your ex wife's welfare that you are repaying.  It is the welfare that she received on behalf of your son.  Your son is your responsibility to care for but it seems that you did indeed do so.  Did she perpetrate a fraud by applying for welfare? In other wors did she fail to report your support payments as income when she applied?  I think that you need to seek help from someone inyour area that can take a look at all the documents involved and figure out what really happened here and what you are liable for.  It needs to be straightened out as soon as possible.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption