What to do if I quit and my employer will not give me my last paycheck?

UPDATED: Oct 6, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 6, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I quit and my employer will not give me my last paycheck?

I returned all their property.

Asked on October 6, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, Kentucky


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You can sue the employer. The employer *must* pay you your last paycheck (assuming, obviously, that you did the work, and they are not disputing that)--and that would have been the case even if you hadn't returned their property. (If you had not returned their property, they'd still have to pay you, but would have grounds to sue you for the return of their belongings.)

Except in the narrow or limited case where the employer is disputing that you did the work (e.g. they claim you falsified time sheets), there are no grounds for not paying you. If they won't voluntarily honor that obligation, though, you'll have to sue them. Depending on how much money is at stake, it may make sense for you bring the action in small claims court and represent yourself.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption