Does my wife still have any claim to the house if we divorced 8 years ago?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Does my wife still have any claim to the house if we divorced 8 years ago?

When she left she took what she wanted at that time. Now she wants 1/2 the house that she has not put anything into for 11 years (she started working on getting disability which she received 8 years ago and that is when she left). I have paid for all of it. Is there a percentage I that owe her?

Asked on December 11, 2015 under Family Law, North Carolina


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Everything depends on your final decree of divorce.  If you were awarded a 100% of the house, then the house in yours and you don't owe her anything.  If the divorce decree awarded her a portion of the house, then she is only entitled to the portion that was awarded to her.  If you are unclear about who got what in the final paperwork, arrange for a consultation with an attorney to review your paperwork and help you understand who gets what.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption