What to do about our homeowner’s insurance on out unsold home, if my wife and I are moving out-of-state?

UPDATED: Nov 12, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 12, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do about our homeowner’s insurance on out unsold home, if my wife and I are moving out-of-state?

We will rent a temporary home in another state while we build a permanent home on a lot that we own. Our home in our current state of residence has not yet been sold but we will consider out new state to be our permanent home. We have auto and home insurance with the same insurer, so we obtain preferential rates. We will inform our insurance company to change the location of our automobile, to comply with state motor vehicle law. We will need to keep our homeowner’s insurance in our current state for as long as the home remains unsold. What should I say to my insurer about our residence? Can we maintain our current residence under the same insurance status while we live in another state and have our auto insurance in that new state?

Asked on November 12, 2013 under Insurance Law, Arizona


Anne Brady / Law Office of Anne Brady

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Whether your can maintain your homeowener's insurance policy in place in Arizona and your auto insurance with the same company in another state really depends upon the policies of your insurance company.  Your insurance may not even be licensed in the state you are moving to and may be unable to cover your car there.  Check with your insurer.  Also be sure to register your car in your new state and to obtain renters insurance for your possessions while in your temporary rental home.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption