What can my son do if he is being sued for a fender bender that happened 2 years ago?

UPDATED: Oct 20, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 20, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can my son do if he is being sued for a fender bender that happened 2 years ago?

His car skidded on ice and hit another car. The police came, no summons was issued to my son and the person in the other car refused medical treatment saying he was fine. Now he is claiming injuries and that he cannot work as a result of this accident. This is the second time he is suing, the first time our insurance company denied him and now he is going after us in a civil suit. What are his chances of winning?

Asked on October 20, 2014 under Personal Injury, New Jersey


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

There is no way to know his chances of winning--it depends on how strong his evidence is that 1) your son was at fault, which means that he was, for example, driving carelessly, such as by driving too fast for the icy conditions; 2) that the accident in which your son was at fault caused his injuries; and 3) the extent of his losses, damages, or injuries. The fact that your insurer denied his claim doesn't mean much--it means just that your insurer thinks there's a chance your son isn't liable, so they chose to not simply pay. But the insurer is not a court, and their determination has no binding effect. Notify your insurer of the suit--they should provide or pay for an attorney to defend you (that is one of their obligations).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption