If my son is applying for a new job, what can he do about a simple assault that he has on his record?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my son is applying for a new job, what can he do about a simple assault that he has on his record?

This happened approximately 9 years ago. He had to pay a small fine as a result of his actions. The new job application asks for an explanation of this record. What is the correct response to this question?

Asked on December 8, 2015 under Criminal Law, Pennsylvania


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

He must disclose this conviction. He should explain it in as favorable a light as he can but he must be sure to be truthful. More than that, there really isn't much that he can do right now. However, for future applications there may be a remedy available to him. It is called "expungement". This is a legal clearing of a criminal history record. If he is eligible, this is the best plan of action for him to pursue regarding future employment. If he is granted an expungement his record will look as though he was never convicted.
At this point, he should contact a criminal law attorney who handles these type cases; they can best advise him further.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption