If my mother passed away and my3 brothers got an inheiritancebut I was left with nothing, how do I get my share?

UPDATED: Feb 12, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 12, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my mother passed away and my3 brothers got an inheiritancebut I was left with nothing, how do I get my share?

My mother died and my brother was left in charge of the Will and the division of money. He and my 2 other brothers were paid and I received nothing.

Asked on February 12, 2012 under Estate Planning, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss and for the situation.  There are a lot of issues here and it would be best for you to seek help from ana ttorney in your area.  ou re going to need one.  First, were you properly served with notice and a copy of the Will?  Are you listed as a beneficiary in the Will?  If you are cut out of the Will, one of the problems you may have is if you were properly served (using a citation) or if you waived service, your time to contest the Will has passed.  If you were to inherit and the brother in charge  - the executor - did something sneaky then you have a shot at going against him for breach of his duties.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption