If my son’s grandmother has had him since his birth, how easy will it be for me to get full custody ifhis mother now wants him?

UPDATED: Sep 7, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 7, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my son’s grandmother has had him since his birth, how easy will it be for me to get full custody ifhis mother now wants him?

My son’s mother wanted an abortion and then wanted to give our child up for adoption. My mother has had him since he was 2 months old; he is now 2.5 years old. I have provided full support and his mother just started coming into his life. Now she wants to get custody so she can start getting welfare for him. How hard will it be for me to get full custody if she is: a stripper; high school drop out; doesn’t provide care for her other child; and is a drug addict?

Asked on September 7, 2011 under Family Law, Ohio


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Although it is not possible to predict the outcome of a particular case, you have very strong arguments for being awarded custody.  The court will consider the best interests of the child in determining custody. There are two types of custody; physical (the parent with whom the child lives) and legal custody (making decisions about the child's education, healthcare, etc.) Since your son has had no contact with his mother until now, it is unlikely that a judge would grant her physical custody; especially, when considering the strong arguments you have presented against her. It is possible that you and she might be granted joint legal custody. 


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption