What to do if my mother has been using my dead grandmother’s credit cards for over 2 years now?

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my mother has been using my dead grandmother’s credit cards for over 2 years now?

She say’s that the Will gave her permission to use my grandmother’s credit cards and bank accounts because she is the authorized user. My mother has not removed my grandmother from either the bank account or the credit card companies. The bank just recently found out my grandmother is dead, now one by one the credit cards are being shut down. I’m in fear that my mother is facing possible jail/prison time. Is there anything that she can do to prevent this?

Asked on October 3, 2013 under Estate Planning, Florida


Tricia Dwyer / Tricia Dwyer Esq & Associates PLLC

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Hello. Your mother needs to confer privately with an attorney licensed in her state right away. Your mother potentially faces civil and criminal sorts of issues. Some attorneys are available seven days for emergency legal needs. Many attorneys will speak initially at no charge. Then, if legal work is performed, some attorneys will provide a reduced fee for financial hardship. Some attorneys may also assist you in a limited scope manner to conserve legal costs. All the best.



Tricia Dwyer, Esq & Associates PLLC

Phone: 612-296-9666

365 Days of the Year until 8 p.m. daily

[email protected]


Minnesota Law Firm



IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption