If my mother died, how do I become administrator to sell her house?

UPDATED: Feb 16, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 16, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my mother died, how do I become administrator to sell her house?

The mortgage com[any will not talk to me until I have an executive letter from our county court. I have 4 brothers and they are all OK with me being administrator. Is there a form for all to sign so I can get the letter from the court?

Asked on February 16, 2012 under Estate Planning, New York


S.J.H., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You need to file an administration proceeding since she had no will. You have to file a petition to be named the administrator of the estate. Each of your siblings can file a consent to you being named administrator of your moms estate. Once you have the petition and consent filled out, you go to the Surrogates Court and file the documents and there is a fee based on the value of the estate. Within a few days you will have your letters administration and can begin the process of selling the house. Go to the NEw York Unified COurt System website and hit the link for libraries. It will bring you to forms for Surrogates Court. Print out the form for a petition for administration  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption