Can a landlord raise yourrent 30% in a matter of 2 months?

UPDATED: Aug 18, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 18, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a landlord raise yourrent 30% in a matter of 2 months?

Having no time to find somewhere else to go. This goes for the entire complex.

Asked on August 18, 2011 New Jersey


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I am very surprised by this but much more information needs to be given here before any guidance can be given.  First, do you have a lease agreement in place?   Then the lease is binding and the rent can not be raised until the lease is over.  Additionally, the lease agreement may in fact state what the rent will be raised and if that is the case, there may be an issue there on your side.  Next, because you said "complex" it makes me assume that this is a multiple dwelling and that there may be certain laws in your area that may in fact apply here as well.  Please go and speak with someone in your area even in a tenant's rights organization.  They will know best how the law is applied.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption