What are my rights if my husband recently passed but we were separated?

UPDATED: Apr 5, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 5, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights if my husband recently passed but we were separated?

He had an RV that he lived in which was on someone else’s property. Do I have a legal right to move it before I go through probate and transfer the title? I was left to pay all cremation and funeral expenses, and will also have to pay the probate filing and attoeney’s fees. The money he had left in the bank, his mother has in her possession but claims not to. We were on very good terms at the end and I was there for him in the hospital. We have a 14 year old daughter and I can’t afford to pay for all this without selling the RV.

Asked on April 5, 2013 under Estate Planning, Florida


Victor Waid / Law Office of Victor Waid

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

The question here was the RV titled in your name also? It would seem if the property owner agrees to allow you to remove, then yes; but if the property owner wants rent, then no,  without paying the rent. In either case you can go to DMV and they will have the paper work allowing you to transfer title into your name so you can sell. Is the RV really worth the effort is the question you will need to answer. By the way you can apply for social security benefit on behalf of your daughter; and for yourself maybe.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption