How do I get the status ofa deceased’s estate?

UPDATED: Oct 4, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 4, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I get the status ofa deceased’s estate?

My great grandmother past away in the 90’s. The state controller unclaimed property division found money for my grandmother. Her house has been sold and resold by now. What do we need to do?

Asked on October 4, 2011 under Estate Planning, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Each state has their own set of laws dealing with unclaimed property funds and you really need to call the department of unclaimed funds and find out what the deal is and what exactly they need from you.  I am a bit unsure what you mean about the house and how it relates to the matter at hand.  At any rate,  What I think that the state will want is some paperwork showing that the person making the claim has legal authority to collect the funds on behalf of the estate of your great grandmother.  It could be as simple as an Affidavit of Heirship.  It could be as complex as a probate proceeding.  That you would need to ask and one needs to know what was done about her estate at the time of her death.  If she did have a house then I am assuming some proceeding was done to transfer it in the first place so getting a current Letter Testamentary for the executor may not be that difficlt.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption