If my girlfriend moved out while I was attending my fathers funeral and did quite a bit of damage to the house, what is she liable for?

UPDATED: May 26, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 26, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my girlfriend moved out while I was attending my fathers funeral and did quite a bit of damage to the house, what is she liable for?

My girlfriend moved out while I was away, and did excessive cosmetic damage to the interior of my house. There was also extensive damage to my front door (door seal was frayed, and the door frame was severely dented with a piece of molding broken off). Is she liable for the damages? She lived with me for roughly a month but never changed her address to reflect my home as her legal address.

Asked on May 26, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Kentucky


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss and for the problems with your girlfriend.  I think that she is liable but how you would term her stay will matter in court and how you would bring the action.  Is she a "tenant" or a guest who destroyed the property?  I would probably sue in small claims court (which is where you would sue the tenant as well as the guest).  Bring lots of pictures and proof she stayed there.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption