If my friend broke the car door handle off of my car, is he liable?

UPDATED: Feb 17, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 17, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my friend broke the car door handle off of my car, is he liable?

Is there any way I can file a claim with his insurance or could my insurance subrogate against his? It is $200 to fix.

Asked on February 17, 2013 under Insurance Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If he was at fault (e.g. careless) in breaking the door handle, he may be liable. If you have the appropriate coverage, you could file a claim with your own insurer. You cannot "file a claim" with his insurance; you could, however, sue him (such as in small claims court, acting as your own attorney) if he will not voluntarily pay, and if he has relevant insurance, his insurer may step in--or if he does not, you would be seeking the money directly from him.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption