When should my fiancé and I do if he doesn’t yet have his student visa and we want to get married?

UPDATED: Aug 31, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 31, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

When should my fiancé and I do if he doesn’t yet have his student visa and we want to get married?

My fiancé is trying to apply to a university and is going to apply for a student visa. I am planning to visit him and getting married before be applies for the student visa. I am a US resident. I wanted to know if there would be any conflicts with these 2 things. I will apply for him as soon as I return back to the US but he is also applying to study at a university here with a student visa. Would there be any problems if I marry him and apply for him before he applies for a student visa?

Asked on August 31, 2014 under Immigration Law, New York


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

He is not going to be granted a student visa if you get married because that would suggest immigrant intent and he is not allowed to have immigrant intent if he is applying for the student visa which is a single intent visa.  Also, if you are a US resident, do you mean you are a permanent resident or a US citizen?  If you are a permanent resident, the process to petition for your spouse will take a few years.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption