If a father got remarried 25 years ago, what legal right in the estate does his son have?

UPDATED: Aug 29, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 29, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If a father got remarried 25 years ago, what legal right in the estate does his son have?

The stepmother had 6 children and the father had one son. The father passed away and then the stepmother passed.

Asked on August 29, 2014 under Estate Planning, South Carolina


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss. I am assuming first that there are no Wills here so everyone died "intestate."  It really depends on how assets were held between your Dad and Step Mom and if she legally adopted you.  If they were held jointly then they passed to her automatically at the time of his death.  So they are part of her estate.  If She adopted you then you inherit equally with her kids.  If she did not then you can not inherit under the law. If there was separate property of your Dad's then his estate would be probated and you would receive a portion of that part of the estate. If there was a Will then the Will would govern. Please seek legal help.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption