How do the courts decide where a child goes to school in a 50/50/ custody situation?

UPDATED: Aug 24, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 24, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do the courts decide where a child goes to school in a 50/50/ custody situation?

My ex and I live 25 miles apart. My daughter currently goes close to him because that is where she was going at the time of the divorce. I live in a better school district and want her to switch or change when she starts junior high. I know my ex will have a problem with this. Do I have any rights on this issue?

Asked on August 24, 2011 California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Your custody and visitation agreement needs to be read in order to fully understand what you have agreed to here.  Does she currently split her time between you and he and still go to the same school now?  How is that working?  Generally speaking, you and your spouse have the same rights to your daughter and to make decision on her behalf.  I am sure that your agreement states that.  Her schooling is one of those decisions.  Ifyou want to have her change school districts then you are going to have to petition the court to do so if your ex husband - her father - does not agree and the agreement is ambiguous as to same (even if it is not ambiguous you could petition  under the guise of "in the best interests of the child").  But have you asked her? She is old enough to have her opinion matter here with the court.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption