CanI loose my unemployment compensation benefits if I refuse work for a good reason?

UPDATED: Feb 11, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 11, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

CanI loose my unemployment compensation benefits if I refuse work for a good reason?

My employer recently dropped me to part time but I was accepted for UC benefits.  Now, my employer is calling me for shifts the day of the shift and only a few hours before.  I have to rely on child care and really can afford it everyday since my employer will not guarantee me any weekly hours.  I have accepted all shifts that were offered to me so far but such short notice makes it difficult to find child care for the evenings. Also, my employer has been sending me great distances from my residence.

Asked on February 11, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, Pennsylvania


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

Here is the thing: unemployment benefits are given to those that were unemployed through no fault of their own and are ready, willing and able to work.  That is the generalmantra of all state unemployment compensation boards.  I can see how it could be a strain in your position to be called at the last minute to work.  I would speak with an unemployment attorney in your area to discuss the ins and outs of the law in Pennsylvania.  Here is what bothers me: your employer mayknow that you have difficulty with child care issues and is in some way setting you up to fail, so to speak.  If you do not take the shift then they notify unemployment.  Speak with an attorney.  There has to be some leeway in the PA law for this type of situation.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption