What an I do if my employer is refusing to pay me my last check which she has admits owing to me?

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What an I do if my employer is refusing to pay me my last check which she has admits owing to me?

It’s been 3 weeks and I told her if I don’t get my check by 5 pm on the day she agreed to meet, I would file a suit. She responded saying, “Please do so. I have documents that show you didn’t do a good job…” She never told me about any issues with the quality of my work during the communications of trying to pay me. Do I have a case and should I take her to court?

Asked on August 16, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, Florida


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Whether or not your former employer feels that your work was acceptable means nothing insofar as getting your paycheck; if you worked you are legally required to be paid. If you are not you can sue your ex-employer in small claims court and/or file a complaint with your state's department of labor. Additionally, you can consult with a local employment law attorney for more advice regarding your situation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption