What to do if some years ago my daughter was involved in an accident with a school bus and the owner the vehicle that she was driving had no car insurance?

UPDATED: May 30, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 30, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if some years ago my daughter was involved in an accident with a school bus and the owner the vehicle that she was driving had no car insurance?

She was driving another person’s car with their permission. There were no injuries, she was broadsided by the bus which totaled the car, but caused $1700.00 damage to the school bus. She was cited for failure to yield, which could have gone either way. A law firm has threatened to do a asset investigation if necessary. I am trying to help her out since she is still unemployed by making payment arrangements, but they refuse to reasonable payment amounts. Can they conduct such an investigation? What are my options to get this resolved?My wife and I can only afford $100.

Asked on May 30, 2013 under Accident Law, New Mexico


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Assuming that the statute of limitations has not passed, a lawyer for the school district or bus company or other damaged/injured party can look to initiate legal action if your daughter does  not pay, including using legal mechanisms (e.g. subpoenas) to look into what her assets are and what she could pay. An injured party or its attorney is not required to enter into what the at-fault driver (or her family) thinks is a "reasonable" payment arrangement, but may take various legal actions if they do not receive what they consider an appropriate settlement. From what you write, it appears that they may do this.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption