If my dad spent my inheritance money, what canI do now?

UPDATED: Feb 29, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 29, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my dad spent my inheritance money, what canI do now?

My Mom passed away 8 1/2 years ago. She had no Will. At the time of her death, she had money in an IRA and a good bit in checking. My brother and I asked our dad to leave our money in the IRA to draw more interest until we were ready for it. We recently went to get it out and our dad had already got it out and spent it.

Asked on February 29, 2012 under Estate Planning, Alabama


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If the money that was in the IRA account that you are writing about was yours per an inheritance left you by your mother and your father spent it, you may have a legal basis for a lawsuit against him for the use of the money. The caveat is that if you were under the age of 18 when your mother died and your father used this money for your benefit (food, clothes shelter and the like) you would not have a legal basis for an action against your father since you received the benefit of this money in kind.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption