If my employer has overpaid me for 9 months this year and now it’s is asking for me to repay the overpayment, what am I legally obligated to do?

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my employer has overpaid me for 9 months this year and now it’s is asking for me to repay the overpayment, what am I legally obligated to do?

A small portion came as take home pay, however the bulk of the pay went directly to taxes. I have no issue with repaying the take home, however repayment of money that went directly to taxes is confusing me.

Asked on August 31, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, Oregon


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

The money may "go directly to taxes," but it is still money paid to you. If you are in, say, a 35% tax backet and are doing enhanced withholding, so that, say, 60% of your money goes to taxes, the employer is still paying you, for example, $100, even if $60 of it is is paid to taxes. There is no legal difference, in this example, between the company giving you $100 and you depositing it and then later paying $60 to taxes, and the company sending $60 for you or on your behalf to the IRS and direct depositing the other $40 into you bank account. In both cases, the gross, or total, amount paid to or for you is the same $100. And therefore, if you were not entilted to that money, you have to pay the entire gross amount, including the portion sent to the tax authorities.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption