How do you remove someones name from the title of a home?

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do you remove someones name from the title of a home?

My Aunt lives in TX and would like to have someones name removed from the title on her home.

Asked on October 2, 2010 under Real Estate Law, Illinois


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

You can not just "remove" someones name from the title of a home without their consent, except under certain circumstances.  The circumstances that I can think of are if one party dies and the other has a right of survivorship.  Then the other party can have a new deed issued in their name alone to be recorded.  But otherwise you need to have the consent of the other party (they would have to sign the deed) and probably "consideration" for the transfer of ownership.  It may be in your Aunt;s best interest to go and seek legal help from an attorney in your area s all the facts are not given here that surround the request to remove the name.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption