Mother passed away, trustee says all children must agree before he can answer my questions

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Mother passed away, trustee says all children must agree before he can answer my questions

My mother dies and her atty, who was her trustee in K’zoo say he cannot answer any question or provide info to me w/o my tow brothers consent. I have no contact with them of any kind. He says this is because of MI legal ethics.

I see no reason why I must have the consent of others who are my equals in the estate and suspect the atty is blowing me off for reasons unknown.

Asked on August 20, 2018 under Estate Planning, Oregon


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

There is no legal reason why he would need the consent of all beneficiaries to answer questions about the trust--he can't *act* for one of you at another's expense, of course, but he can provide information. If he won't, your recourse would be to bring a type of legal action traditionally called an action for an "accounting" (your state may have a different name) in which, as an interested party (a beneficiary), you ask the court to make the trustee "account" for his actions and demonstrate that he is following the instructions of the trust and acting in the beneficiaries' interests. You bring this action in county court, traditionally in the "part" or division of the court called "chancery" (the part that deals with ordering people to do things, not just awarding money). An action like this can be complex; you are advised to retain an attorney of your own to help.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption