Legal Advice

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Legal Advice

A investigator came to my place of employment looking for me, stating that I had a warrant. I was out of the office. I called him and he told me that I have been accused of creating an online ad, on offer up, for an escort service using my husbands ex’s information. I had to go to the police station to give him my statement and talk. He didn’t arrest me, but told me very little information except that he had my phone IP address, he had my wi-fi IP address and all my offer up account information. He told me that if I didn’t take responsibility that this case would go to court, and if my kids did this, then they would be investigated. That it could lead to a felony. However, he said if I turned myself in and said I was guilty that I wouldn’t go to jail but I’d have to pay bail and it would more than likely be dismissed as I have never even gotten a traffic ticket in my life. I told him that I didn’t do this but he told me that it was my wifi and my phone used so I told him if my teenagers did this, I would take full responsibility for this crime. I didn’t do this, so my question is what do I need to do? Do you think I need a lawyer? My fear is the investigator is trapping me with lies.

Asked on October 24, 2016 under Criminal Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You really need to hire an attorney to assist you as soon as possible.  This investigator is trying to trap you and you need assistance before you answer any more questions.  It is actually legal for an investigator to lie to an accused to get a confession.  Based on what you have described, this investigator is lying to you to obtain a confession.  It is rare for a felony to be dismissed just because "somone confessed and turned themselves in." 
If a warrant was issued, then an attorney can help you turn yourself in, help you arrange bond, and quick turn your release.  In the mean time, invoke your right to remain silent and discontinue contact with this detective until you have an attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption