Is my child support payment accurate?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is my child support payment accurate?

First off, I send every penny to my children, but I don’t think my child support was calculated correctly. My child
support was calculated under RI laws. It uses the combined income of the biological parents to calculate the child
support payments. December 14, I graduated with my AS degree and I have been actively seeking employment
since. My child support was calculated under the assumption that I will have a full time job making 12 an hour. I am
a student at Eastern Florida State College and have no income. So why am I paying 500 a month?

Asked on March 17, 2018 under Family Law, Florida


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You are saying that they have not be accurately calculated becuase you have had a change in circumstances having gone from working to a full time student?  I think what you have done is what is needed to re-calculate but beware: if the change in circumstances was one you had control over then you may still be held to the calculation standard you were paying under.  In other words, the court will not just recalculate becuase you decided to stop working.  If you were fired, yes, possibly. But I would seek some help asap before your arrears builds up.  I understand that you are in school trying to better yourself and move forward but you are still responsible for the support to the kids.  The court may say you have to go at night and continue working during the day.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption