Is it legal for you emloyer to charge you for a lost reciept?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it legal for you emloyer to charge you for a lost reciept?

The receipt I lost was not of a purchase but of a scaned paper. I work for a tour company that charges $45 per peson, this group of people came on the bus with a voucher for 4 people. I did not charge any cash or credit. I simply scanned the voucher. I turned in the voucher but not the receipt so my employer wants to charge me $180 for the lost receipt. Is this legal?

Asked on September 2, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Yes, it is legal: employers are allowed to set their own rules for what is required in terms of proof of sales or services provided, and can determine when that proof is inadequate. If an employee does not provide adequate proof or otherwise fails to document the transaction, he or she can be held liable for that amount of money.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption