Is it legal for an ex-wife of 18 years to purchase life insurance on her ex-husband?

UPDATED: Mar 20, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 20, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it legal for an ex-wife of 18 years to purchase life insurance on her ex-husband?

I might add, he had a massive stroke 3 years ago and the doctor’s said that he might only have 6 months to live. We recently found out she has life insurance on him. They also have an 18 year old son, that the father raised singly, without a dime of support from the mother, however after the stroke we thought it was best that he move in with his mother.

Asked on March 20, 2015 under Insurance Law, Oklahoma


Anne Brady / Law Office of Anne Brady

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Certainly, anyone can purchase insurance against anything, including the death of someone else, if the insurance company is willing to write it.  In this case, I am assuming that the ex-husband has been providing support of some kind, and she wants to make sure that when he dies, she has some money to make up for that support ending.  It is perfectly legal,

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption