Is it legal for an employer to report a failed drug test

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it legal for an employer to report a failed drug test

I am friends with a family who have a 16 year old son. Previously, I
had considered the boy a buddy. His behavior has changed dramatically
in the recent months, and I have strong suspicion he is using pills.
If I report it to his employer, would they legally be able to tell me
if he fails a drug test and what drugs he had in his system? I am in

Asked on March 8, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Tennessee


G.J., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Information obtained in a drug test is confidential. It is between the employee and the person who deals with drug testing and results within the company. The employee can consent in writing to have results given to a third party. In this situation the employee must specify to whom the results are to be give, why it is being given to them,what information is to be shared, for what period of time this information can be shared and that the information is not to be made public.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption