Is it legal for a count owned hospital to refuse service

UPDATED: Mar 16, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 16, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it legal for a count owned hospital to refuse service

I live in a small town I owned a medical laboratory up our county hospital was so up set allOf our STAT Blood samples would go to the hospital well I had a stay blood draw a a retirement home I took sample to our county hospital and they refused my services is this legal and can I take legal actions on this Thanks

Asked on March 16, 2012 under Malpractice Law, New Mexico


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You probably won't be able to take legal action if the blood draw wasn't done somewhere under its control. This is probably due to chain of custody issues and issues dealing with self protection (read no lawsuit). Check any contracts you may have or contact the general chief of staff of the hospital and talk to him or her about policies and see if something can be done in the future to ensure you are following hospital policies and that the hospital will take your blood samples.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption