Is a verbal agreement/promise legally binding?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is a verbal agreement/promise legally binding?

A friend at the time gave me 2 acres of land and promised he would sign them over in my name and there would be no strings attached. He said so no one would ever be able to make us move and that my kids and I would always have a place to live. He kept telling me this. I bought a mobile home and had to placed on the land he signed off to give me permission to put it there. No lease

agreement. We ended up dating and he moved in. He left and now he has given me less that 60 days to have it moved. I am a single parent and as of this moment am unable to do so. And have no where to put it. Since he gave me the land can I take him to court. And would his verbal agreement stand?

Asked on January 4, 2018 under Business Law, Mississippi


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You can sue your friend for breach of contract. You can argue that you detrimentally relied on the oral agreement by purchasing the mobile home and placing it on the land your friend gave you. Therefore, your friend should be estopped (prevented) from denying the  existence of the oral agreement and forcing you to move the mobile home.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption