If my father passed away 16 years ago and his current wife just died, my siblings and I entitled to any of the estate?

UPDATED: Aug 28, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 28, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my father passed away 16 years ago and his current wife just died, my siblings and I entitled to any of the estate?

There was a small settlement on some of my father’s holdings 16 years ago.

Asked on August 28, 2014 under Estate Planning, Delaware


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss. I am assuming your Dad dies without a WIll.  That is called "intestate." Under stand that only assets that would have passed through your will are affected by intestate  laws and that generally means only assets that are owned alone and not jointly with another. Any assets jointly held by your Father and his wife went to her automatically at the time of his death. Any assets that were part of his separate estate pass in Delaware as follows:

  • spouse and at least one descendant from you and someone other than that spouse
  • spouse inherits 1/2 of your intestate property, plus the right to use any intestate real estate for life
  • descendants inherit everything else

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption