Indiana Child Support Collections and Fees

Get Legal Help Today

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by Jeffrey Johnson
Insurance Lawyer Jeffrey Johnson

UPDATED: Jul 16, 2021

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

The Indiana Office of Child Support considers almost any form of the noncustodial parent’s income to be subject to child support garnishment. This includes lump-sum payments, which are subject to withholding for child support collections. If an employer has questions about how much to withhold from wages or lump-sum payments, they should contact the Indiana Child Support Bureau. Failure to withhold or remit the proper amount could lead to harsh penalties for the employer.

Income Subject to Withholding for Child Support Garnishment

Income in Indiana is defined very broadly. “Income” means anything of value owed to the employee. A noncustodial parent must consider any source of income as being subject to wage garnishment for child support purposes. When calculating what portion of this income is to be deducted for a support order, however, some income is protected – specifically, all income defined as “earnings” by the Consumer Credit Protection Act (CCPA) is subject to wage garnishment limitations.

Bonuses and Other Lump Sum Payments

An employer must withhold before paying out a lump-sum payment to an employee subject to a support order. Lump-sum payments include, but are not limited to, severance, accumulated sick pay, vacation pay, accumulated commissions, or a bonus. To calculate the amount to withhold, the employer should first contact the support agency to find out the arrears balance, if any. If there is an arrears balance, the employer should then multiply the employee’s weekly support payment by the number of weeks represented in the lump-sum payment. The employer should withhold whichever is the lesser of these two amounts from the lump-sum payments. But keep in mind that the withholding can never exceed Indiana’s maximum withholding limits. For questions, or to inquire about an arrears balance, contact:

Employer Maintenance Unit

Indiana State Child Support Bureau

402 West Washington Street


Indianapolis, IN 46204

Phone: (800) 292-0403; (317) 232-0327

Termination of Employment

When an employee stops working for an employer, the employer must notify the child support agency either within ten days of the date of termination or when income payment ceases. This applies to independent contractors as well. The employer should include the employee’s last known home address as well as the address of the new income payor, if known. If an employee or independent contractor retires, the employer must notify the agency of the pension administrator’s name and address, if any.

Administrative Fees

There will naturally be costs associated with enforcing a support order. Indiana law allows the employer to deduct up to $2 per payment to the agency. This deduction must come out of the employee’s wages. Further, the total amount of the support payment and the fee can never exceed Indiana’s withholding limits.

Penalty for Noncompliance

Upon the failure to remit payment to the child support agency, an employer will be held liable for the total amount due.

Indiana State Office of Child Support – Contact Information

Department of Child Services

Division of Family Resources

Child Support Bureau

402 W. Washington St., Room W-360

Indianapolis, IN. 46204

Phone: (317) 232-4885

Fax: (317) 233-4925


Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption