In what ways can a judgement from another state affect me?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

In what ways can a judgement from another state affect me?

I received a judgement from NY against me by the Department of Labor. The
judgement has already been filed in court. I currently reside in FL. This
judgement is against myself and my company Inc.. I have not done business
through my company in over 4 years, so I guess you can say it’s out of
business. I cannot afford to pay this judgement. Can my assets in FL bank
accounts or property be frozen by this judgement in NY? In what ways can
this judgement affect me?
Many thanks in advance.

Asked on March 29, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If the judgment is against you personally then if you don't pay it voluntarily, your wages/salary can be garnished; a lien can be put on real estate; bank or brokerage accounts may be levied upon (i.e. money can be taken out); and valuable personal property (like art or vehicles) can be executed upon (seized and sold). And, of course, it will have a significant negative effect on your credit A judgment from one state can be enforced in another state, though the process is a bit more cumbersome and paperwork-intensive than enforcing a judgment in the same state; every state is legally required to honor every other state's judgment.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption