Can my ex-husband’s girlfriend spank my daughter?

UPDATED: Sep 24, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 24, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my ex-husband’s girlfriend spank my daughter?

She is 9 years old. There were no marks but she was spanked for sucking her thumb.

Asked on September 24, 2012 under Family Law, Florida


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

It depends on your court orders.  Some parents want an agreement included in the final custody papers which prohibit either parent from using physical punishment.  However, if your paperwork is absent this type of language, then the parent gets to decide the degree of appropriate discipline when the child is in their care.  They can also delegate that authority to any child care provider, including the girlfriend.  However, if he does allow her to spank and she leaves markes, then he could be liable for injury to a child with her because he is the one authorizing the abuse discipline.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption